MacBook has a Photos app that shows all iCloud Photos libraries and System Library. If you want to back up iCloud Photos from your MacBook to your Google Photos account, you can do so by using Drive for Desktop app. You can back up Mac System Photo Library to Google Photos Cloud with the Google Photos desktop app. Below 3 step guide that will help you upload iPhoto Library.
Install Drive for Desktop on Mac
Here is the Simple Guide to Install Google Photos on Old MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, and Latest Apple M1 Chip.
- Download Google Drive for Desktop from Offical Site.
- Once downloaded, click on the file to install it.
- Click on the Continue button.
- The file will be installed inside Macintosh HD or an equivalent storage location.
- Within a few seconds, the application will be installed on your macOS.
- A Google Drive icon will show up on the top menu bar on MacBook.
- If it doesn’t show up, look for all apps (F4 Button) and open Google Drive. The icon will show up on the menu bar.
- Now click on the Google Drive icon on the menu bar and click on sign in.
- A Google account login page will open in a browser. Log in with your G-Account to confirm the access.
- Once the login is a success, you will see a confirmation message on the browser.
- You can confirm the login is a success by clicking on the drive icon on the menu bar.
Method 1. Use Settings to Backup Photo Library
Here is the Simple Drive for Desktop Setting to Backup System Photo Library and iCloud Photos to Google Photos.
- Click on the Settings icon on Drive Window.
- You can select the image quality to upload to Google Storage.
- Now right-tick on Upload Photos and videos to Google Photos under System Photo Library.
- Confirm upload to system photo library.
- You may have to grant your Mac media access to Google Drive App. Click on Open Privacy Settings.
- A settings page will open; right-tick Google Drive to grant access.
- Done! All the system library iCloud photos will be uploaded to Google Photos.
- Make sure that Syncing is enabled in Drive for Desktop App.
Method 2. Add Photos Library Folder for Backup
Here is the Guide Add System Photos Library Folder as a Backup Folder to Upload all Photos and Videos to Google Photos Cloud.
- Click on the Gear icon.
- Now click on the Preferences option.
- A new window will open.
- Here click on the option My MacBook XXXX.
- Click on Add Folder option.
- Now, look for the Photos Library folder, select the folder named original and click Open.
- Right tick the box next to Back up to Google Photos and click Done.
- The Photos and Videos from the Photo Library will be uploaded to Google Photos.