Google Drive offers several features for quick access and support. You can store videos, images, apps, zip files, docs other files in Google Drive without any complications. Many users look to lock the file uploaded to google drive, and when such files are shared with the end-user, they need to enter the password to access the file.
Technically speaking, GDrive offers a lock feature wherein you can restrict file access and share it only with known members, but it does not offer any kind of password protection. I myself needed an encryption lock feature and came across some of the best techniques I can apply. Here are the Best Methods to Password Encrypt Google Drive Files, Preferably Video, Image, App, Audio, App, Zip, or more.
How to Password Protect Files Before Uploading to Google Drive?
It is the best method I found. You can Encrypt a file before uploading it to Google Drive, and when someone downloads the file, they need to enter the password to unlock the file. You can use powerful AES256 encryption to password protect a file and upload it directly you Google Drive. The only catch here is the file needs to be compressed into a zip file, and then you can encrypt the zip. Here are the Steps in Detail;
- Password Encrypt the File Using Windows or Mac PC – Complete Detailed Guide
- If using Android, you can try apps like BI Archiver Zip to lock Zip files.
- Upload the Encrypted Zip File to Google Drive.
- Now, if someone downloads the Zip, they need to enter the password you have set.
- Once the password is added, the file is unzipped to access the locked content.
I tried all the 3rd party tools and tricks to check if there is any loophole, and I found none. This is the best encryption method to lock protect your Drive files.
How to Password Protect a Files Using a 3rd Party Tool?
You can use a free 3rd party tool named Link Lock by Jacob Strieb on the Github repository to lock the Drive sharing link. The tool is free and ad-free, built for open source use. Link Lock uses AES in GCM mode to securely encrypt passwords and PBKDF2 and salted SHA-256 (100,000 iterations) for secure key derivation. Encryption, decryption, and key derivation are all performed by the
- Visit Link Lock Site.
- Enter the GDrive Link.
- Create and Confirm Password. Click Encrypt.
- Copy the Encrypted Link.
- Now one needs to enter the password to unlock the URL.
How to Password Protect a File in Drive Using G-Forms?
If you do not love to encrypt the file using any tool outside the Google environment, then you can use Google Forms to password lock the file. If you do not wish to convert the file to encrypted zip but still want to lock the file itself, then this method will come in handy. We will use Google Forms to create a password-protected form and add the GDrive sharing link inside the form. The file is unlocked if someone enters the right password. Here are the Simple Steps;
- Click on the New option in GDrive Desktop.
- Now open Google Forms, Blank Form.
- Google Forms page will open.
- Add any Title Name in place of ‘Untitled form.’ I added ‘BytesBin Lock‘ for the demo.
- Add Password Detail in ‘Untitled Question.’ I added ‘Enter Password to Unlock
- .’Change Multiple Choice Option to Short Answer.
- Now Turn on the Required Toggle.
- Next to Required Toggle, you will see the 3 vertical Dots menu options; click on them.
- Here select Response validation.
- Now more options will appear on the form.
- You can select Number as a Password, Text as a Password, or Regular expression for Password.
- I will go with Regular expression; this will allow me to create a complex alphanumeric password.
- Make sure to use the Contains as the option. This will ensure the file will be unlocked only when the exact password is entered.
- Set the password in the Pattern option.
- Now in custom error text, add a custom error message to display the wrong password. I used ‘Incorrect Password‘ as a custom error message.
- Click on the Gear icon.
- Here tap on the Presentation option.
- Now under the Confirmation message: enter the Google Drive Sharing URL and click Save.
- Click on the Send button.
- You can now either share the file using Mail, copy the link or embed the link.
- That’s it! When someone opens the form, they need to enter the password.
- Entering the correct password will fetch you the GDrive URL.😀
With this Detailed Guide above you can password encrypt your Google Drive Files like Videos, Images, Documents, PDF, Apps, or more. You can either upload encrypted file to Drive or lock the sharing URL with passcode whichever suits your requirement.
With this Guide you will learn;
- How to Encrypt Google Drive Files?
- How Password Protect Video File on Google Drive?
- How Password Enrypt Apps on Google Drive?
- How Password Protect Images and other Media on Google Drive?
- How Upload Encrypted Files to Google Drive?
- How to Password Lock File Uploaded to Google Drive?