Google Drive for Desktop is a new Drive client for Windows and Mac PC. It comes with combined features of Backup & Sync and Google File Stream. With Drive for Desktop, you can backup your PC to Drive or Sync your Google Drive with PC. You can also upload your PC photos and videos to Google Photos with this single software. Drive Desktop is the best backup tool available for your PC.
If you have installed Drive for Desktop on your MacBook Air, MacBook Pro, or latest Mac M1 Chip PC, and if the Drive Desktop is Not Opening, Crashing, or Not working on your macOS Computer, then we are listed in some of the best-recommended methods to Fix the Desktop client error issues on your Mac PC.
Fix 1. Quit and Restart Drive
Most of the issues on computer software can be fixed with a simple restart. The same goes with Drive for Desktop; if you face problems with the software and are force closing or crashing, then a simple quit and restart can fix most of the glitches.
- Click on the Google Drive icon on the top menu bar.
- Now click on the Setting button.
- Here click on Quit to quit terminate the app.
- Now Restart the MacBook Computer.
- Once started, click the Launchpad and open Google Drive App. The desktop client should work without any issues.
Fix 2. Delete the Cache Files
The app develops some cache files, and though cache is good as it speeds up the software, sometimes these files conflict with the system and software, causing some issues that may conflict with the standard working of the application. It is good to clear the cache file. To do so;
- Hit command+space to open Spotlight, then type
- Here click on the Application Support Folder.
- Look for the Google folder and open it.
- Delete DriveFS Folder.
You can also delete Drive Folder if it is present as Drive is the redundant folder from Backup and Sync.
- Restart the PC and Done!
Fix 3. Re-Install Drive for Desktop on Mac
You can re-install Google Drive for Desktop on your Mac, as there may be some error that may have been caught while installing the application on your PC. First, properly uninstall the application. To do so,
- Quit the Google Drive for Desktop app.
- Now open Finder and click on Applications.
- Here look for Google Drive.
- Open the menu option by double tap on the touchpad.
- Click on Move to Bin to uninstall the application.
- Enter Mac ID password if asked and confirm the deletion.
Now download the latest Google Drive for Desktop from the official site or if you have a downloaded copy install the software properly to avoid any errors;
Fix 4. Run the GDrive Script
The Drive for Desktop comes with a built-in script running the script can fix most of the issues with the app automatically.
- Open Finder.
- Here click on Applications.
- Now, look for Google Drive, double-touch the touchpad to open more options.
- Click on Show Package Contents.
- Here click on the Contents folder.
- Look for the MacOS folder and open the Google Drive script. Done!
With some of the best methods listed above, you can fix the Google Drive for Desktop App Not Loading, Opening, or Crashing Issue swfor your MacBook PC. If you have any further questions please comment below.