iCloud Photos only supports JPEG or JPG format photos to be uploaded from iCloud.com web. You cannot upload videos, PNG, gifs, or any other media format on iCloud.com Photos. When you try uploading photos other than JPEG, you will see the error message ‘Only Files in JPEG Format Can be Uploaded‘.
There is also a support page showing stating that iCloud web photos only support JPEG photos. But you can enable iCloud Photos backup on your iPhone and Mac to upload all HEIF, JPEG, RAW, PNG, GIF, TIFF, HEVC, and MP4.
Convert Images to JPEG and Upload
You can readily convert PNG, HEIC, or any other photo file format to JPEG and then upload the JPEG photo to iCloud Web. This will fix the issue.
Upload Videos to iCloud Drive
You can upload GIFs, Videos, and other media file types can be uploaded to iCloud Drive.
- Sign into iCloud.com using your Apple ID credentials.
- After logging in, you will be able to view the screen shown below.
- Click on the iCloud Drive option to open the Drive.
- There are two methods to upload a file – using drag and drop and using the upload option/icon
- If you want to put multiple files on the drive, select one file. After that, press the Shift key and click on the other files that you want to upload, and hit open.
- The files will be uploaded in no time to iCloud Drive.
could not find anything about enabling iC Photos backup on my iPad Mini 4. “But you can enable iCloud Photos backup on your iPhone and Mac”